Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Project 5 Proposal

     The artist I chose to be my muse for Project 5 is Rene Magritte.  He
is a Belgium surrealist artist.  His images are challenging and
thought provoking.  I recently researched this artist more in depth.
I can draw so much inspiration from the surreal like qualities of the
image.  Considering he chose to work in the medium of painting I feel
that his images can be uniquely re-created and re-originated through
the medium of digital photography. I searched for photographers whose
images were similar in form as Magritte, the closest comparison I
found was Harry Callahan.
       My proposal is to use structural architectural content as background
incorporating modern figures.  This project will exploit the program
of photoshop.  I will have to layer and assimilate multiple images by
selecting the forms.  It will be a challenge to give a painterly like
quality to the images.  I want to make these modern in technique but
adopt Magriette style.  Through his manipulation of images it provides
the viewer with mystery.  The artists challenges the viewer with their
perception of scale and combining the viewer with two unlikely objects
within the same space and confines of the image.  To me his images are
brilliant even when they are as simplistic as “The False Mirror.”  He
works to differentiate subject matter and creates a strange “enchanted
realm.”  Magritte’s work is a definite springboard to create this
project.
The images I am most enthused to adopt aesthetic parameters from is
“The Great War,”  “The Landscape,” “The Forest,” “Decalcomania,”Black
Magic,” “Not To Be Reproduced,” and “Golconda.”



http://www.moma.org/collection/artist.php?artist_id=3692


http://www.moma.org/collection/browse_results.php?criteria=O%3AAD%3AE%3A924&page_number=115&template_id=1&sort_order=1


No comments:

Post a Comment